If you’re serious about the Ketogenic diet, it’s time to brush up your Keto macros; these macronutrients are the building blocks of your complete diet and include proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. In the Keto diet, we restrict carbohydrates and use fat as our primary source of energy. Protein consumption is dependent on how active you are but is only moderate unless you work out intensely.
Everyone has different macros, and depending on your current level of fitness and, your macros may change over time. This is where many people get confused, so to break it down, we’ve created three steps that will help you identify the macronutrients unique to your needs. If you want to skip ahead, you can plug in your details into this Keto calculator, which will give you an instant breakdown.
As you journey into the Ketogenic diet, be sure to revisit this information regularly (especially as you get Keto adapted) as your macros change dependent on your current weight. Simply put, a large person will need more calories to meet their daily energy requirements than a smaller person. As you lose fat, your Keto macros will evolve with you.
Now that you understand why macronutrients are so important, let’s learn how to identify our Keto macros
in three simple steps so that we can fully understand what we are eating and why!
How to Determine Your Fat Intake
Fat is perhaps the most important macro In the Ketogenic diet; it’s certainly the most valuable. Fat will give you a more refined energy source than traditional carbs, can curb your hunger, make you feel less hungry or snack less, and makes food taste delicious. But how much fat should you consume each day? The easy answer is to eat fat to your liking; however, there is an important caveat.
If you are looking to lose fat on the Keto diet, you will want to use this macro to account for up to 60% of your daily calories. Keto is not a green light to eat what you like whenever you want. Calories count. The other 40% of our calories will go mainly towards protein and some carbs. The good news is once you are Keto adapted, fat will help prevent overeating naturally.
Here is how to get started:
How to Determine Your Protein Intake
Many people automatically assume that the Ketogenic diet is high-protein, which in reality, fat is the driving force. Protein becomes available after fat, and typically includes high-fat cuts of red meat and high-fat poultry, such as duck or eggs. You want to consume enough protein, so that retain your core muscle form, but equally, you don’t want to overdo it, or it can kick you out of Ketosis.
If you work out excessively, you will want to account for this in your Keto macros, but otherwise, most people don’t need to eat a lot of protein to look good. If you feel hungry, and keep reaching for protein in the hopes of staving off hunger, it’s more than likely you are not eating enough fat. In which case, go back to step one and review what fats you are consuming.
Here is how to work out your protein goals:
How to Determine Your Carb Intake
Restricting how many carbs you eat is what most people learn about the Ketogenic diet, and while this is important, how much fat and protein you eat should be at the forefront of your mind. So, if you eat less than 50g of carbs per day, or 25g and less for those who are Keto adapted, carbohydrate intake doesn’t play a significant role in your Keto macros.
Carbs account for less than 5-10% of your total calories, and the more Keto you become, the less you will depend on carbs for comfort or nutrition. Instead, you will learn how to fuel your body with fat, and supplement with fatty proteins, like salmon or avocado, and green, coniferous vegetables to complete a wholesome and delicious diet that can support fat loss and mental clarity.
The Golden Carb Rules:
How do you calculate your Keto macros? Do you have any simple tips to share?
- Keep your carb intake to less than 50g per day
- Always read the packaging for hidden carbs and sugars
- Keto allows users to eat “net carbs,” which is total carbs minus fiber